Brokeback Podium
Just came back from seeing Brokeback Mountain. I was really impressed. It's nice to see an all around good movie from the acting to the scenery to the directing, etc. I'm anxious to rent Crash, since I believe Crash won best picture at the Oscar's. To beat Brokeback Mountain it must be a great film.
Also got to have dinner at Newt's, my favorite burger joint in Rochester. This place has won awards for best burgers in the city for three years running, and let me tell you, it is well deserved. Lisa actually suggested we go, which is great, because I usually have to practically drag her there. I had a burger with the cheese cooked inside the beef. Mmmmm. Not quite as good as my usual, but still very tasty. I also had a couple of old fashioneds which were also very, very good...probably the best I've ever had. If you ever come to visit us in Rochester, make sure we take you to Newt's.
I've been thinking about my students off and on this weekend. Usually, I don't think about my job at all when I'm not there. My sixth graders were exceptionally naughty on Wednesday, and I think that's what is driving my thoughts. I really felt I had them under control and liking band the past few months, but lately I feel like I've lost them. Part of last Wednesday's behavior issues could have been that there was a snow day on Monday and we were all 98% sure we'd have another one on Thursday. Mix that in with the fact that sixth graders in spring think they are just short of royalty, and you've got the recipe for a huge pain in the ass. Even still, though, Wednesday was a big step backwards. I try to make sure I never compromise my educational standards, but it seems like to satisfy the majority of the students I'd have to dumb band time down to being recess with loud instruments. On the other hand, I feel that if I continue to hold these kids to the standards of the class I'll drive them away from music. It is beginning to happen with some students. I know they're "at that age" but why the hell would you be in band if you don't want to play? I don't think I understand the 10 year old mind very well. Or I understand it too well.
The fifth graders, on the other hand, are doing great. Practicing seems up overall, and their responsibility and behavior is, generally speaking, outstanding.

1 Comments:
Hang in there sir. I have found that students are very connected to the weather. One thing that I always remember, they aren't my kids (ie they don't come home with me :) ). It is hard to say what to do about driving kids away vs. keeping them. Teaching math I can say that my job is to try and reel a few back in since the majority of them have already been driven out of the doors, down the street, to the bus station, across the county line and over several state lines. Anyway, I don't know if I have helped, but I wanted to let you know I was listening.
Love,
Post a Comment
<< Home