Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Hangin with My Brother

My brother came out to visit last weekend. Good times. Rick came out on Friday night. I took him to see St. Mary's hospital (from where the wife brings home the bacon) and then to Newt's for a burger. As usual the burgers were excellent. On Saturday we grilled some steaks and potatoes (and drank) and then went to the local comedy club and saw some really hilarious comedians (and drank) then went to a bar (and drank). Needless to say, everyone slept in on Sunday. It was good to hang out with Rick again.

I bought a couple of CDs this week. One was John Scofield's "A Go Go," which has been one of my favorites for a long time. I've been working on transcribing John Medeski's solo on the second track. It's proceding very slowly. The little bit of transcribing chops that I built up in college are officially long gone. I also got a recording of the Bill Evans trio. They're basically playing all standards, but it's an incredible album. The group had been together playing clubs and touring for the better part of a year, so they're totally synced up. Bill Evans is such a smooth and logical sounding improviser. If Mozart played in a piano trio, he'd sound like Evans.

I think I'm coming to E.C. to see the Mahler concert.

1 Comments:

At 4:22 PM, Blogger Andrei S said...

That Scofield CD is freakin' awesome. I've been in love with it since 12th grade - and that was a looooong time ago.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home