Thursday, April 19, 2007

Various Company Service Reviews

I haven't posted in a long time. Only 92 days until the Harry Potter book. I need closure.

Ok, on to topic. I spent some time this morning (since music history was canceled - YES!) communicating with three companies that had wronged me in some way. Naturally, I was giving them the opportunity to rectify the situation. Some did, some didn't. Know that in all three cases, I wasn't upset going in. Sometimes mastakes are made. It's only human. However, I believe that if a company wants my business in the future all mistakes should be corrected. I'll go from worst to best.

Jo-Ral Mutes

This communication was actually over e-mail since I couldn't find a phone number on their site. I sent the e-mail 13 days ago. My beef was with my three month old hardly used straight mute. Two of the corks became loose and fell off rendering the mute useless. This happened, as one would expect, the week of a concert. It was no big deal. I just borrowed a mute from another trombonist. The problem is that my e-mail, in which I requested a replacement cork (for one that had gone missing) and some adhesive to reattach the corks was not answered. Unless there is a cork and adhesive in the mail for me, which after 13 days is doubtful, Jo-Ral decided to ignore me. Based solely on customer service, I'd never do business with them again, but the mutes just sound so good.
Grade: D-

Fischer-Price

My communication with Fischer-Price was over an Infant-to-Toddler Rocker. Check it out http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?e=detail&pid=31327&selcat=bgb&st=2011. You'll see, if you look closely, that the toys are suspended from loops coming off of the bar. The red straps attached to the toys have velcro (like Hertel's shoes!). Our rocker, however, has a single strap hanging down from a bar which velcros to a single strap on the toy. Needless to say, while not a huge deal, it's not as nice as the picture. When I called FP to inquire about a new bar like the one advertised I was told that all of the rockers are like mine. What happened was the pictures of the product were taken and then the company decided to make the change. That irritates me, because I'm not exactly getting what's adveritsed. However, the woman I spoke to on the phone was concise, cordial and apologetic. The customer service end did the best it could, but shame on the advertising folks.
Grade: B-

Shop-Vac

My last communication was with Shop Vac. My dad bought me a vaccum that only had two wheels instead of four. My vaccum looks like a drunken R2D2, slumped over to one side. I called shop-vac and the lady I spoke to apologized and said they'll send the wheels at no charge to me immediately. After taking my name and address we were done in under two minutes. Yea Shop-Vac.
Grade: A+

If you read all the way through that, you are a true devotee to my opinons and rants. I'll try to write a more interesting entry in a few days.

4 Comments:

At 4:36 PM, Blogger gnate said...

Mute corks:
1) Take to music store/repair shop--charge for part, possibly labor.

2) Get contact cement and message board roll from hardware store (if it's thick enough.) Glue up yourself. Layered, perhaps?

3) Find a friend in the biz that could swipe/install corks for you.

For what it's worth, this seems to be a Tom Crown kind of town (along with 88H and 6.5AL) Also tends to be a "miss the pedals in the David Concertino" kind of town.

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger Maestro Dynamite said...

Can't miss those pedals. I found the missing cork after all and attached the two with superglue. I decided to shave them down after that. They stayed on even though I used an electric sander, so hopefully it will be good. I'll do it your way next time, since I got glue all over my hands. I have a Tom Crown, too. I like the Jo-Ral's sound a bit better.

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger Ryan and Max's Mama said...

Hmmm...who would you know that works as a repair guy in a music store...hmmmm...I will have to think on that.

And, I read your blog all the way through, just to make sure you didn't have a baby yet. So, keep it coming. woot.

92 days.

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger J said...

Velcro!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home